June 04, 2013

Pleated Black & White Skirt Tutorial

See my full disclosure policy here.

This is the tutorial for the pleated black and white skirt that was part of my black and white look on Project Sewn. I'm sharing it as part of Skirt Week over at Crafterhours. Head on over to check out some great skirt tutorials, and to enter your skirts for some really great prizes.


Here's a back view of the skirt.

  And my favorite feature: twirl-ability!

Click below for the tutorial.



First, I started with a waisband from a pattern. I used McCall's pattern 5631, but you could use any waistband.

Measure the finished length of the waistband. The finished length is the length you want the skirt portion to be. Since you are going to be adding pleats, you want the skirt to be three times the finished length. So if your waistband is 18 inches long, you want the skirt portion to be 54 inches long. 

I wanted my pleats to be 1 inch each. Since black was on top, I wanted the stripe pattern to be 1 inch black, followed by 2 inch white stripes. You'll need to add 1 inch per stripe for 1/2 inch seam allowances. So my black strips of fabric were 2 inches wide each and the white strips of fabric were 3 inches wide each. Cut all the strips the same length {the length you want the finished skirt to be}.


Sew the strips together to make your skirt "fabric". My final stripes were 1 inch wide (black) and 2 inches wide (white).

Press seams open, and hem the bottom.

Now make your pleats. You've already done the work; just make them along the seam lines, so that only black is showing. Make sure to pin them in place.

Baste the pleats in place.

You can topstitch the pleats a few inches down if you want.
Once you have all the pleats finished and your skirt is the correct width, insert a zipper in a side seam.

Add the waistband according to the pattern directions.

Here is the waistband attached to the skirt.

I also added a button to the waistband to finish it.


8 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I loved this skirt, and still do. Incredible!!

Olga (Kid Approved) said...

THe skirt is very pretty! Grat job!

Honora said...

This is my favorite! So fantastic, and it does not sound as hard as it first appeared. I might actually be able to try it.

Corinnea said...

Gorgeous, love the twirl!

Shannon said...

Such a lovely skirt. The black and white contrast is perfect for the design!

Honora said...

Have you seen the skirt over at
http://www.vixen-vintage.com/
It is similar to yours, but has diagonal stripes and ric rac! I think you will love it too.

Linda Lee Steaples said...

So pretty, Great job!!!!!! I have made a pleated skirt before when I was younger and I have read many tutorials and I never could understand why they made it sound so hard!!!! Yours is dead on and very easy to follow!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!! Linda Lee

Liz said...

Wow, I really, really LOVE this skirt! Will make this one for sure one day! Thanks for sharing the pattern!!

Liz

Ads Inside Post